Sunday 25 January 2009

Bottled Up

Some days I wonder why I blog. Surely I could do something better with my time? Well loads actually. But more and more these days I bump into somebody who has read this blog. I like that.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Mike, a local guy who had been to my pub before. I didn't remember him, but he seemed to know I had a keen interest in beer. He had amassed a large collection of beer bottles and he had decided that it had just grown far too big for his house. Not wanting to throw them away he turned to us as first choice as a place that might display his bottles. He brought them here today.
 
It turns out he reads this blog, which might explain why he chose me as custodian of his prize collection. We think there might be around 500 bottles here, each one different and from all over the world. Now all we have to do is find a place to display them.
 
Thanks Mike, the only problem is it shows up my poor attempt at trying different beers.

3 comments:

Alistair Reece said...

At Pivovarsky klub in Prague they have shelves quite high up the wall, on which are loads of bottles.

Stonch said...

I used to collect interesting empty beer bottles during my legal career, hoping that one day I'd have a pub to display them in. Now that I do have one I'm less keen on the idea! One has to be careful at how much you promote beer and beer alone in a pub - it can alienate people.

Unknown said...

Velky Al, this was one of the ideas we had, a wall of bottles.

Jeff, I agree to some extent that there is much, much more to pubs than beer. But, if it's something you have always wanted to do then why not? it's your place. Perhaps the way it is done is the important thing. Our place is big enough and has other interests contained within, a few beer bottles won't spoil it.