Saturday 21 March 2009

A part of the problem


“Oh there he goes again” I can here you thinking “another complaining post from the Woolpack Dave guy again”. Well yes… and no. Our business is very weather dependant. If it rains we get significantly less in the way of customers. If the sun shines it can be better. If we get a period of good weather we see a good increase in steady custom.

Last year we had a good spring and early summer. It was that good that our next door neighbour started to flap about our shared water supply drying up. That was in June. It feels like we’ve not had any good weather since, until today.

It’s Saturday, it’s been nice weather for a few days, we’ve had a few late bookings for the rooms and it looks like being a busy day

All we need this year is a good summer. I don’t just mean us, but the hospitality industry and the wider economy as well. Good weather puts everyone in a good mood, boosts confidence which can only be a good thing. In a recent industry poll weather was cited as the biggest thing that affects trade, over and above smoking. So here’s to a summer like ’76 and if anybody starts complaining about their garden needing watering, gag them.

As an aside, these blog poll things are fun, and also informative. I have commented on average beer consumption in a pub per person in the country being less than 2 pints a week. I am sure I can count on one hand the number of weeks, since I was, eermmm, say 17, that I consumed less than 2 pints per week. I am guessing that beer blog readers will show higher than average beer consumption.

3 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Sorry to be picky, but I can't help thinking it would have been informative to split the 6-20 category into two, as I suspect that's what a large majority of respondents will choose.

I drink a lot more in pubs when on holiday than in a working week.

Unknown said...

Fair point, poll updated.

I would expect people to go for an average per week. I think most people drink more when on holiday.

Curmudgeon said...

Cheers Dave :-)